Although I am not yet a mother, after working with a vast number of children in different child care environments I have heard an immense amount of baby names. So, I wanted to write a little blog to give expecting mamas some tips on how to find that perfect name for your perfect babe.
Choosing the perfect name for you baby is such a fun experience, but probably a little overwhelming to! You may be feeling a little uneasy about who is going to like the name you choose, if anybody right? Among parents who get a negative reaction to their name choice, 46% say that their own mom (the baby’s grandmother) is the culprit shocking right?! I personally feel whatever you choose needs to feel right for you, regardless of who else likes it!
So, let’s get down to the nitty and gritty of choosing a baby name, here are 3 surprising truths about baby naming.
- Most couples lay out those ground rules before stepping into the baby-naming ring. The most common rule? No exes’ names allowed. I mean that makes sense, who wants to be constantly reminded of your partner’s former squeeze?
- Among parents-to-be who still haven’t nailed down a name, 15% say they’re being forced to consider other options after having a beloved name “stolen” by someone they know.
- Found in statistics a whooping 1 in 3 parents admit to hating a friend or relative’s baby name choice, though the clear majority keep their opinion under tight wraps!
Since you can’t please everyone, why not pick a name that you and your partner love? Let’s talking through some keys ways of how to choose a name that’s perfect for you sweet bundle of joy!
- I think the first one and in my opinion is a very important one is being aware of initials or nicknames that could be created throughout your child’s life. Sometimes people love having a nick name for their child and most are cute ones, however just be careful that if a nickname can be made, is not something your child or you would not like!
- Make a family tree, you might be surprised what you could find about your relative’s names. This could also be a fun way to have a family connection. And with some old names making a comeback you could be right on trend with a name your baby will grow to love and be proud of.
- Make sure its easy to spell and pronounce. With new and unique names being given to their baby every day, and most seem adorable but I think it’s wise to be sure you’re not creating a burden for your child to deal with.
- Most parents love to choose a name that has a special meaning or association. There are tons of names that have a beautiful meaning to them, and most can be found through an internet search or in books. Some examples are Sophia: Wise. Emma: Whole or complete. Ethan: Strong Daniel: Attractive.
Found through statistics, here are the top 15 baby names for 2018 so far.
I hope you expecting mamas find my information useful throughout this precious journey you are now starting.
As always, if you wish to gain more details on any of the sessions that I offer, newborn, maternity or family photography then please feel free to reach out to me!Book now